Posted: February 6, 2024
Applicants Must Bring This Form to Day 1 of the February 2024 Exam
Posted: December 21, 2023
Posted: December 8, 2023
MPRE Score Requirement
On October 4, 2022, the Maine Supreme Judicial Court amended Rule 11 to state the following:
An applicant for admission by examination must have taken and obtained a passing score on the MPRE within 15 years prior to the date on which the applicant is admitted.
The amendment to this rule means that an MPRE Score is no longer required in order for an applicant to apply and sit for the Maine Bar Exam.
Posted: October 12, 2023
Posted: October 4, 2023
February 2024 Exam Deadline
Application Period: October 15, 2023 until 5:00 pm on December 20, 2023
In order for an application to be accepted, the following items listed below must be received by 5pm on December 20, 2023.
1. Application completed and submitted in the portal
2. Application fee in our mailbox
3. Notarized forms in our mailbox
HAND DELIVERY IS NOT AVAILABLE.
Posted: September 21, 2023
Information regarding hotel accommodations will be posted to the portal once the application deadline has closed. After December 20, 2023, please review the Announcements page in the portal if you would like more information on how to book an overnight room for the bar exam.
Posted: September 21, 2023
February 2024 Exam Applicants – if you need to contact the office, please do so through the applicant portal. This is the best way to communicate with staff.
As of March 28, 2023, applicants who are submitting applications through the applicant portal for the upcoming exam are able to save a draft of their application prior to submitting their application to our office for consideration.
Here is the important information to know:
- All applications filed today and all future applications will have the ability to save their application and go back to it at a later time to complete it.
- Each time the applicant clicks “Next (Save as Draft)”, it will save the information entered on that page and move to the next page.
- An applicant should only hit the “Complete” button on the last page when they are ready to submit the application to our office for review.
- The status of the application will say “Draft” on the applicant’s home page until the applicant finalizes the application.
If an applicant has previously submitted an application prior to today and did not complete their application, please do not complete a new application. The applicant should contact our office through the applicant portal so that we can reopen their application for completion.
Application Deadlines for February 2024 Exam
October 15, 2023 – December 20, 2023
The Maine Board of Bar Examiners will receive all applications for the February 2024 bar exam from October 15, 2023 until 5:00 pm on December 20, 2023. There will be no option to pay a late fee and submit an application after December 20, 2023. This change is made pursuant to Maine Bar Admission Rule 6(3)(b) and applies to all exam applications and testing accommodation applications.
In order to apply for the exam, applicants must review the instructions and submit an application through the applicant portal at the following links:
In addition to completing the application through the applicant portal, applicants must print off, sign and notarize the forms below, upload each completed form to the applicant portal and mail the originals with the application fee to our office.
5. Social Security Disclosure Form. *Applicants must upload one copy of the form to the applicant portal and mail the original form to our office.*
6. Authorization and Release Form. *Applicants must upload the form to the applicant portal and mail three (3) original forms to our office.*
7. Application Signature Page. *Applicants must upload the form to the applicant portal and mail the original form to our office.*
8. Testing Accommodations Application. *Testing Accommodations Applications must be uploaded to the applicant portal or delivered to our office no later than 5pm on December 20, 2023 for the February 2024 exam. Hand delivery is not available. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.*
The applicant portal has been created to provide applicants with a more hands-on experience. Since the portal is new and a work-in-progress, maintenance will be occurring from time to time. When this happens, a notice will be placed on the website informing applicants as to the time period in which the maintenance will occur.
If an applicant has any questions or issues with the applicant portal, please contact the Executive Director, Melissa Hansen, at email@example.com.
MAINE BOARD OF BAR EXAMINERS
135 MAINE ST, STE A, BOX 305
BRUNSWICK, ME 04011
COVID Protocols for the February 2024 Maine Bar Examination **This will be provided closed to the exam date*
FEBRUARY 2024 MAINE BAR EXAMINATION
The February 2024 Maine Bar Examination will be administered in-person on February 27-February 28, 2024 at the DoubleTree by Hilton in South Portland, Maine. Our office will begin accepting applications through our new applicant portal from October 15, 2023 until 5pm on December 20, 2023. Applications will not be available prior to October 15, 2023.
Instructions on how to use the applicant portal are available at the top of this page.
CHANGE IN MAINE UBE CUT SCORE
In accordance with Maine Bar Admissions Rule 10(c)(3), the Maine Board of Bar Examiners, at its January 2020 Board meeting, set the passing scaled score for future bar examinations at 270. The reduction in cut score is prospective only.
Maine will accept concurrent applications from examinees sitting for the UBE in another jurisdiction. Applicants must still apply as if taking the Maine bar exam, but do not have to sit in Maine if sitting for an exam in another UBE jurisdiction (for the same exam administration). In order to apply concurrently with another UBE jurisdiction, please go to https://mainebarexaminers.org/exam-forms/exam-application-forms/and complete a Bar Exam application.